Thursday, October 7, 2010

Blogging vs. Facebook ‘Share’

Rather than blogging about something, I’ve actually gotten a bit lazy and have recently been using Facebook more and more as a sounding board of sorts to post and comment on various subjects. I’ve been enjoying the Facebook “Share” feature that allows me to read an article and then post it to my Facebook page, comment on it and read the opinions of others.

Typically however, there are various sites that do not contain this “Share” feature and naturally it is most often the articles that I would really love to share out there that do not have this feature. While they offer the “Like” feature, I am really growing to hate that one. Personally clicking on the “like” feature doesn’t really tell anyone why you like it.

The viewpoint expressed above is directly related to a portion of the monolog on the Home Page of my personal web site regarding those “conventional” Q&A’s that attempt shove unique individuals into stereotypical little holes in an equally stereotypical board.” Not shared verbatim from my Home Page.

I’ve always been a pretty opinionated individual since I can remember. Most of my life however did not allow for the actual expression of these opinions. Whether we like to admit it or not, the need to be accepted if not approved of does play a very large role just how we express ourselves in any given setting. However, as we grow older and experience various things throughout our lives we tend to give less and less credence to that need. I can say that for myself now because I have reached a point in my own personal growth and development where it is a ‘factor for consideration’ but not a “determining factor” in who I am. This developmental process is a “work in progress” so to speak and I still have quite a ways to go before I’ve reached the point I am personally seeking.

I believe it was First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt that once said… “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” Something that to me is sounds very much like what my Father, Robert Starkey once said to me…”You are the only one who has to live in your head.” In the years that I was fortunate enough to have him in my life, I was never so appreciative of his spontaneous philosophies as I am today, as an adult. There are so many times that I wish I could reach back into the dark recesses of my mind and pluck out so many of the simple quotes that he stated to me in my youth, alas I cannot. Yet, when I need them most, I can almost hear him say them just the way he first said them to me all those many years ago.

My Father was a truck driver for most of my childhood. I remember a number of summers when I would be allowed to go on the road with him in his truck. This was always exciting to me and I looked forward to it. It was quality time shared between a father and a daughter. While there are those that do not place us [my Father and me] in that category because he was technically my stepfather; a fact that I will always wholeheartedly dispute.

Fatherhood and Motherhood are no different in my opinion. Any human being can reproduce another human being; that is simple biology. However, it takes special people to actually be a Father and a Mother. I was more than fortunate to have the ‘special’ people in the role of my parents. Subsequently, you do not have to actually give birth to become a Father or Mother.

I realize that this may seem to be a pointless rant about something, but that’s the way it is sometimes. Regardless, I do believe that it is time for me to re-establish my blog time. Sharing specific information through Facebook is good, but then again it feels more like an assigned topic rather than something I actually want to say or talk about. Not to mention the fact that while I may believe an article is relevant to a specific person or situation, there may not be anyone else who feels the same way.

I know too that we all use Facebook for our own reasons and purposes. Mine is primarily to maintain a ‘constant communication’ with those I actually care about such as family and friends. I know too that there are those out there who merely use it to play games. It’s the ones that use it as a platform to preach and lecture, specifically those who do it in a judgmental manner.

So, I think I’ll go back to the ‘blogging’ about these things rather than burden my family and friends with them. At least in the blogging arena, people have to actually go to a blog to read it and not just sign onto their own Facebook page to see it.

Thanks for ‘listening’!

No comments:

Post a Comment